Farming for the Future – Hatuma Dicalcic Phosphate Ltd
Hatuma Dicalcic Phosphate Ltd is a long established Hawkes Bay company that produces and markets lime as well as Dicalcic Phosphate fertiliser. Some farmers are now using this product as they see that its use provides significant advantages over alternative fertiliser options. The product is now distributed throughout New Zealand and the company wanted to understand the broader benefits associated with its use to support its promotion. The Farming for the Future Research programme was established in 2009 to facilitate this.
The AgriBusiness Group is undertaking broad based monitoring of farms using dicalcic and is compared the outcomes on these with industry data.
The AgriBusiness Group has undertaken the broad based monitoring of farms using Dicalcic fertiliser and established that the farmers using Dicalcic have comparable outcomes (production and financial) to regional averages despite applying significantly less Phosphate.
Description of the project
The AgriBusiness Group undertakes an annual monitoring programme on 13 lower-input North Island hill country sheep/beef farms involving:
- Comprehensive soil and pasture quality assessments (including soil biology) with associated analysis including using Overseer®.
- Annual farmers’ interviews on farm physical attributes, management inputs, production and financial data captured and analysed.
- Comparison of farm outcomes against available local or national benchmarks.
- Prepare detailed reports written with considerable input from soil scientist Peter Carey (Land Research Services Ltd).
See Manuscript – as part of the research outputs – published from the 28th Annual Fertilizer and Lime Research Centre Workshop held at Massey University, February 2015 (Moving Farm Systems to Improved Attenuation) available here.
High level planning
Project established in 2009 and is on going longitudinal study.
Resilient Farming Alliance – A diverse group of like-minded individuals made up of farmers and representatives from industry, the scientific community, Hawke’s Bay Regional Council, as well as former Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment, Dr Morgan Williams.
The AgriBusiness Group’s role and contact
- Role – field research provider and strategic input
- Key contact: Dave Lucock
- More information: Hatumadp website